Friday, June 24, 2011 By: Uwharrie Heirlooms

The Uwharrie Heirlooms Story

I was asked to share this portion of my POS brochure here. Hope you enjoy it.

During the summer of 1967 my parents sent me to stay with my grandmother, Ruth Johnson Martin, while they were at work during the day. My “Memaw” decided that she would keep me occupied by helping me to plant a garden.

We brought a mattock and hoe out of the shed and started digging what seemed like an acre of ground in which to plant our seeds. Actually it was more like eight feet square, but it was big enough to grow a few vegetables.

In that small plot we planted seeds of squash, cucumber, okra and corn. I don’t remember if we harvested a lot from my first garden, but I do know during that summer, my grandmother planted in me a love for gardening and growing plants that grows to this very day. She instilled the love of old plants and methods.

When I was 15 my father helped me build a greenhouse, which was small (8’ x 12’) but provided a place for me to practice my growing skills for several years. I studied horticulture in high school during my senior year, and went on to study further at NC State University. I built a larger greenhouse and started growing some of my own plants that I used in my landscaping business for over fourteen years.

I spent eight years as a member of the horticulture staff at the North Carolina Zoo, where I learned a great deal about growing without the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers. Then it was time for me to move back on my own, and my life’s path has brought me back here, to my little plant farm called Uwharrie Heirlooms.

0 comments:

Post a Comment